The IBM Corporate Service Corp

The Corporate Service Corps was launched in 2008 to help provide IBMers with quality leadership development while delivering high quality problem solving for communities and organizations in emerging markets. Visit the Site!

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Waiting for Departure at Terminal 2 (Manila, Philippines)

Thursday, March 8, 2012

I am sitting here near the boarding gate and I am sitting alone. This is the first time I am traveling alone and I missed my travel buddies. We usually have coffee while waiting for the boarding time but I don't think I will enjoy coffee this morning especially that all I want is to catch some zzz's (which reminds me, I forgot my chic sleep mask!)

The stores have not opened yet.. It is too early. I was actually planning to buy some items.



I am finally here and I never thought I would make it. Last night, I was struggling packing my stuff ensuring that I wouldn't get that dreaded sign - excess baggage! I changed luggage twice and even removed some stuff, including essentials because I thought that I was 20 kilos in excess of the allowance - when I was actually looking at the pounds measurement instead of kilogram! And I am just using a normal weighing scale. How I weighed my luggage? Well I weighed myself first then carry the bag. That's the most clever way I can think of since I don't have that portable digital luggage weigh gadget that my friend have. Anyway so I got through check in process and immigration smoothly. My luggage weighed 19 kilos so I only have 1 kilo left for my souvenir and shopping. I am glad that they didn't question my handcarried bags. I am sure it would exceed the allowed 7 kilos - that is a good thing but I am now worried about my shoulders and back.

I am still cannot connect to the IBM network. While packing and re-packing last night, I got my friend who served as an IT support trying to help me out connect - configuring the DNS settings, TCP/IP and all other settings - we still failed. Anyway, thank you Stephy!

My third line manager (who has been my inspiration to apply for the IBM CSC) told me to take alot of pictures during my assignment. My friends know that I looove pictures, and I love to have my picture taken. It is just too sad that there is no one to take my picture now. Look at me, I am sitting here alone - I am wearing the chiffon pants my mom made, pink Marilyn Monroe (I love Marilyn! And I hate that I missed the Marilyn Monroe film last week!) top and slips-ons (so it would be easy to take off during the Immigration check - alot actually struggled with their sneakers and high heels! ;)). I even had my hair cut. Would I look like a typical tourist if I ask the man beside me to take my picture? ;)

I asked tatay (dad) to take a picture of me and nanay (mom) before I went inside the airport - and mom being the impatient and worrier that she is just said we had enough pictures and that I need to hurry up and check in. She is not that sentimental, I know. Or probably she already got used to going to airports and sending her kids. I was actually surprised that there was no drama when I went inside. However, I saw them waiting and watching me (while I checked in my luggage, paid the terminal fee and went through the Immigration) from outside - and I wish I took a picture of them.

Anyway, I will see them again in a month. For now I need to enjoy this trip so I have a lot to share with them once I am home. Ending this post before the battery goes dead.

Blogging from Terminal 2, NAIA Philippines,

Ruth